Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Tampa Divorce Lawyer
Schedule A Consultation Today! 813-490-5211 Hurricane Damage

Tampa Name Change Lawyer

Divorces come with many issues and elements. While property division, alimony, child custody, and child support are common issues, for women, name changes are also at the top of their minds. Many women don’t want to live life after divorce with their ex-husband’s last name. They want to restore their maiden name.

Changing your last name is not hard if you do it during the divorce process. Probably the hardest part is having to inform everyone about your name change. Want to know more about the process? Contact Westchase Law and speak to our Tampa name change lawyers who can guide you through the process with ease.

How to Change Your Last Name

You can have your maiden name restored in a Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage, or divorce decree, in Florida. However, it does not happen automatically. You’ll have to inform the court.

List your first, middle, and last name on your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. At the final hearing, be sure to spell your maiden name correctly for the judge so that the correct spelling is placed in the final judgment. If the judge grants your request, you will need to inform other institutions about the change. Obtain the certified copies within 30 days from the date the Final Judgment is signed.

Update Your Name With Various Agencies

Update your name with the Social Security Administration as soon as possible. You may change your name by mail or in person. You will need an application, certified name change document, proof of identity, and proof of U.S. citizenship.

In Florida, you have just 10 days to change your driver’s license or ID. However, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration first. You can only change your driver’s license or ID in person at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You will need your driver’s license, proof of your current name, proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of Social Security number, and two documents that show proof of Florida residency.

You will also need to update your name with any other agencies and companies you deal with. This includes insurance companies, voter registration, employers, mortgage companies, landlords, and banks. You will need to update your credit cards accordingly. In addition, you will need to update school records as well as your name at doctor’s offices, veterinarians, utilities, and other service providers. Each company will have their own procedure for you to follow.

Contact Westchase Law Today

If you are interested in changing your last name due to a divorce, the best time to do it is during a divorce. The courts can easily change it with your divorce decree. If you wait until after your divorce is finalized, the process may be more complicated. You will need to file a new petition and pay the appropriate fees.

Westchase Law makes the process easy. Schedule a consultation with our Tampa name change attorneys today by calling 813-490-5211.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn