Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Tampa Divorce Lawyer
Schedule A Consultation Today! 813-490-5211 Hurricane Damage

Most Common Ways to End or Reduce Alimony

After years of paying alimony to an ex-spouse, you may be wondering how long it will last or if there is a way to at least reduce the amount you pay. In Florida, there are many types of alimony or spousal maintenance including temporary, permanent, bridge the gap, rehabilitative and durational.

Depending on the type of alimony you are required to pay, you may be able to have it reduced or you may be able to end it altogether. Listed below are some of the common ways to end or reduce alimony:

  • Unemployment: One of the more successful arguments paying spouses have been able to make is related to unemployment. If you suddenly lost your job and your financial situation has changed drastically, with the help of a lawyer, you may be able to have your payments modified.

  • Illness: Similarly, if you have suddenly contracted an illness that is making it difficult for you to work and earn a living, you may be able to convince the court that your alimony payments should stop or at the very least be reduced.

  • Receiving spouse is living with someone else: If your ex-spouse is living with another partner, there is a chance that you might be able to have alimony payments terminated or reduced.

Any part of a divorce can cause stress and frustration. But alimony payments can make it difficult for you to move on with your life. An experienced lawyer can provide you with sound guidance and advice regarding if and how you may be able to reduce or end your alimony payments.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn